1 Nov 2017

Hostess of Pohja - Kalevala Cal


This square was designed by  Maarit Leinonen and represents Louhi, the sparse tooth hag who is leader of Northland.  She is a matron of Kalevala, a powerful witch and an enemy of Kalevala's heroes. 

Louhi, hostess of Pohjola,
Thus addressed old Väinämöinen:
"Know I other mighty measures,
Know I means that are efficient,
And against thy golden moonlight,
And the splendor of thy sunshine,
And thy plowing, and thy reaping;
In the rocks I'll sink the moonbeams,
Hide the sun within the mountain,
Let the frost destroy thy sowings,
Freeze the crops on all thy corn-fields;
Iron-hail I'll send from heaven,
On the richness of thine acres,
On the barley of thy planting
(Kalevala poem 43, 305-322)

Source




Although the pattern says that this an easy square to make, I found it a little challenging and had to frog it at one point. I think my main problem is working with American abbreviations when I’ve been used to English but it's always good to be challenged, isn't it.
 

All the patterns of the squares for the Finnish project, ‘Kalvala Crochet-a-Long’ can be found Here.  
Happy Crocheting!
Sue
x
Yarn used for my throws  - King Cole Melody Double Knitting
Throw 1 – Butterscotck – shade 3099
Throw 2 – Humbug – shade 1676

No comments:

Post a Comment