18 Jan 2012

Kid’s Company ….Thank You

July 2009


I’m sure I must have said this before but I really do love stitching for the Kids Company project.

I don’t it for any recognition either, it just makes me feel good knowing that someone else is getting a little pleasure from something that I love to do. 
It also gives me an outlet for the pieces that I stitch. ………there’s nothing sadder than a pile of stitched pieces sitting in a drawer or cupboard gathering dust, so when you receive  letters, such as the ones I’m about to share with you now, it brings home just how much of an impact this project is having.



The first letter  relates to the two Bunny cushions that I stitched last month. 
(See the post below)
Dear Nicki,
I was also hugely moved when I gave your beautiful cushions to the children. Arif and Samira are thrilled with the matching cushions as is their mother.

They have thank you cards and are writing them this weekend. I will then send them to you so you can give them to your team.
 Samiz was completely overwhelmed when I gave her the beautiful, bright cushion with her name on it and the lovely message. She just looked at it and then after a few moments threw her arms around me and hugged me as she didn't have any words. She then said thank you very much and I just felt so touched by her pleasure.

Thanks very much to you and Ilse.
 I can't take a photograph because of confidentiality issues as she is a therapy client but you both have really helped to give her pleasure and make her life a bit brighter and easier....Words actually feel inadequate to express the depth of this....


***

The second letter was from one of the schools that Kid’s Company help.

Dear Nicki and Camilla
I wanted to write to say thank you for the wonderful gift of the ‘name’ cushions Nicki made for each of the children at ******** School.
It was very thoughtful of Kids Company to put forward this unique project for our school. I was in the assembly when the cushions were presented to the children, and thought you should both know the surprise and delight on the children’s faces on receiving their cushion!
I am the school art therapist, so I have a particular interest in made things – I also do quite a bit of sewing in my own time, so I know it takes a lot thought and time to sew!

Through my work here, I have noticed how children treasure things made for them, keeping them for years and making sure they have a safe place to keep them. I imagine the children will find it a lovely thing, that somebody who lives in another country could think about them and make something especially for them.
With warm wishes,
***



But the thing that really brought home to me just what this project is all about was this photo.


It’s not very clear I’m afraid.  I’ve cropped it so you can see because this little boy was sitting right at the back but just look how he’s holding on tightly to that cushion!

No comments:

Post a Comment