22 Mar 2023

Let the Construction Begin

 I’m so pleased that I decided to make my Heritage Book my focus for the month.

When I posted last time, I still had four of the page backs and the spine of the book to stitch.  

Well, they have all been completed now and I also did a little modification on the back cover too, adding the phrase  ’A Family Tree Can Wither If Nobody Tends It’s Roots’, so now the time has come to see if my vision will rally work! 

The first step was add some iron-on interfacing to all 20 page pieces,

and then join each of the pairs together, by whip-stitching through the back stitching around the edges.
Then it was onto the cover.

I cut four squares and two rectangles of mount board and covered them with batting before stretching the stitched panels over them.  At this point I would normally have glued the front and back pieces together but in this instance I decided that I would slip stitch the pieces.

I found the fiddliest bit was slip stitching the front and back covers to the spine of the book, but I managed it in the end.   I added Blue silk ribbon to secure the book and edged the whole thing with homemade cording.


My next job was to attach the pages.

The original plan was to do individual pages that you flick through but in the end I decided to join them in one long strip and concertina them inside the covers.

I’m so pleased that this long term project is finally finished.  I started the very first panel back in 2021, as one of my Cross Stitch Camp projects, and have been working on it at various times ever since.

The inside back cover details the charts used in my book and shows that it was stitch by me and the year it was finished.

Keep an eye out for my next post, to see to fully finished Heritage Book in more detail and to read a little about my ancestors, who are celebrated within its pages.


Happy Stitching!

Sue

X

 

Charts –– Loose Feathers Series

Chart – Forget Me Not

Designers – Blackbird Designs

Back Page Designs by Susan Hyde

Fabric – 36ct Fibre on a Whim – Wheat

Threads – Weeks Dye Works

12 comments:

  1. Simply gorgeous! What a treasure you have created through your stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Robin, it was a joy to stitch, even if it wasn't as much fun stitching it all together, Lol! Thanks for stopping by. Sue xx

      Delete
  2. What a masterpiece you've created, Sue! A true work of art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very kind Carol, thank you. Happy Stitching! Sue x

      Delete
  3. Sue - I am absolutely blown away by this project. I have read everything and think it is just wonderful that you have found this way to remember and commemorate your family. What an absolute treasure you have created. And then to be able to make a book out of your work is just incredible. You have done yourself and your whole family more than proud. I hope this will one day be on display in a place where many many people can enjoy it and marvel at your skill, patience and the general beauty of this elegant heirloom. Fantastic work, Sue, just fantastic xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Nicki, that is so kind of you to say. It was a joy to stitch, made all the more easier by using the beautiful Blackbird Designs charts. Now, the two ladies that designed those are the talented ones! Thanks for stopping by. xxx

      Delete
  4. Absolutely fabulous finish and memory book of these pieces ... I have just finished the first piece and was going to turn them into wee pillows ... hmmmmm ...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Mouse and for your kind comments. I look forward to seeing yours when you finish them. Happy Stitching! Sue x

      Delete
  5. Bellissima idea, tutto il lavoro stupendo. Complimenti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for viviting mt blog Lidia and for your kind comment. Happy Sitiching! Sue
      x

      Delete
  6. This is just beautiful -- a true work of heart (art)! Thank you so much for posting this on Facebook. I have it in my saved items and just now read through your blog post. I am gobsmacked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you for your kind words Marsha and thank you for visiting my blog. I know these are not so popular these days but I find my posts keep me accountable to my self. It's so nice when others stop by! Happy Stitching! Sue x

      Delete