25 May 2015

Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder

Wow, is it really 8 months since I last updated my stitching blog!

Just because I’ve not been here, it doesn’t mean I’ve not been keeping busy with my stitching and knitting though.  My fingers have been very busy!

Back in September last year I cross stitched a few more squares to send to Nicki, to incorporate into quilts, and the theme I chose to do was Carousel Horses. 
 
 
 
 

In October I went to the Stitch Show at Alexandra palace with my cousin and came home with four kits to stitch……… mind you, 3 out of the 4 are still untouched.

The one that I have made a start on is this one, Summer Days (Anchor PCE559)

 For some time I’ve been meaning to stitch a panel to go in my Heritage Album, something to mount my dad’s medals on.

Ideally, I was thinking of some sort of frame of Poppies, but not being able to find exactly what I was looking for, I decided to go with this and adapt it.
As you can see, I’ve stitched on Black rather than the White in the kit and left off the little houses in the background.  Now I need to flip the chart and stitch it again in the other bottom corner, so this is still a work in progress. 

By now we were into 2015 and what better way to start the New Year, than with a spot of knitting.

While at the Stitch Show back in October, I also brought some wool and this book.
 
and knitted these for my God Daughter’s little girl Ava. 
 
 
 
 I was so impressed with her because she was just 17 months when I gave them to her and she already knew most of the animals and the some of the sounds they make.

I enjoyed knitting the animals so much and I had loads of wool left, so I then brought this book
and proceeded to knit this little lot.
 Puss In Boots
 
The Little Mermaid

 Goldilocks & The Three Bears
 

 Pinocchio
 
Cinderella in Rags ( I designed the pumpkin myself)
Fairy Godmother
Cinderella in Ball Gown


Prince


Courtier


 

And finally, my favourite

 

Sleeping Beauty


 here she is in her nightgown


and here she is in her day dress


but there's a secret..........
 
she a topsy-turvy doll
I even knitted her bed!
 
 

After my knit-athon it was back to the old cross stitch and a birth sampler, as my God daughter was expecting for 2nd child.

 When she had Ava back in 2013 I stitched The Historical Sampler Company’s ‘The Toy Shop’.

Because Nichola and her sister had the same birth samplers when they were little, I suggested that she might like the same for Ava and her sister when she arrived. 
So this one is finished with the same frame and stitched on the same colour background, but I changed up the colour pallet and switched the pictures around,  so it’s the same…….but different!
 
I’ve just started on another of their family traditions, a Bucilla Felt Christmas Stocking for the new baby,  Freya, who arrived at the end of April.

I stitched my  first two stockings for Nichola and her sister Kelly back in 1981. 

Then one for Nichola’s husband Paul in 2010. 

One for their first child Ava in 2013

And now one for Freya.

 
 

I’m hoping she’s not planning on a large family, Lol!

That just about brings me up to date I think. 

I’ll try not to leave it so long before I blog again, but in the meantime……… 

Happy Stitching! 

Sue

x

3 comments:

  1. I love seeing all your creations Sue and as ever, it all looks so perfect :) That topsy turvy doll is ingenious and I love the stitching you are doing for your dad's medals. What a great idea

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been a while since you posted, but oh my you have been busy! The carousal horses are beautiful. Everything you have done is wonderful, so many wonderful knitted things you made. Good to see you back and loved seeing all that you have been doing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness!! You've been a busy gal, I see. All of your projects are wonderful! Great job.

    ReplyDelete