15 Sept 2022

RIP - HRH Queen Elizabeth 11

 On the 8th September, the day before my 66th Birthday, Her Royal Highness, Queen Elisabeth, passed away.

Watching all the news coverage on the TV has been so emotional, and despite the fact I didn’t ‘know’ her, she was a big part of our lives and our country will be all the poorer for her passing.

The only time I came close to meeting her was back April 1981, the year that Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer got engaged.  The Queen came to visit The Bank of England Printing Works, where I worked and she passed by just three feet away from where I was standing.  I remember being surprised as she passed how tiny she was.

Because the Queen passed away in Balmoral Castle, plans that weren’t expected to be called upon swung into place.  

There was a service in St Giles Cathedral in Edinburgh

 and then a ‘Lying in Rest’, so that people could pay their respects, 

before Her Majesty was flown back to London on the 13th September.

The journey back to Buckingham Palace was a very emotional one to watch.  The specially built Royal Herse had lights in the back, so her coffin, draped in the Royal Standard and topped with a wreath of White flowers, could be clearly seen by onlookers in the fading light.

It was amazing to see so many people lining the route and getting out of the cars on major roads as the cortege passed, despite the rain.

On Wednesday 14th we saw the pageantry that only the United Kingdom can do so well, as the Queen was transported, on the back of a gun carriage, to Westminster Hall,

where she will Lay in State for the next 4 days, giving thousands of people the chance to pay their respects.

They have been queueing since Tuesday, sleeping on the pavements, in the rain, overnight, to file past the coffin.

While I was watching on TV, I decided that I wanted to stitch something as a commemoration and decided to design a little pillow.

Using Brenda Keyes, ‘Ultimate Sampler Motifs Source Book’,  I came up with this.

If you would like to stitch one too, you can find the free chart on my Instagram.  #idratherbestitchin

.

R I P  Queen Elizabeth

God Save The King!

Sue

x



No comments:

Post a Comment